Deseret Morning News 10K

Categories: Exercise, Happy Things, Health
Find me on Google+

That was not the race I had planned to run. In some ways it turned out better than I thought it would, in other ways worse.

I actually didn’t get to the race on time. I got there ten minutes late. But they have computer chip things that you tie to your shoe for the official time, so all I had to do was make sure I crossed the starting line when I started so it would register when I started. Within three blocks I had already caught up to people and started passing them. By the first mile I was well into the pack. I don’t know that anybody ever really passed me, which is not how races usually go for me.

It was ten years ago today that I ran my first marathon. It had only been a year and a half since I’d dislocated my knee and the doctor had told me there was really nothing they could do to fix it. I got a bit emotional as I started this race because the last few weeks have been the first time in 11 years I have run without a knee brace, and this was the first race I’d done since January of 1996 without one. I ran the marathon to prove that a stupid knee wasn’t going to keep me down.

I had my cell phone with me in case I needed help getting back to the start for my car or something, so about half way through the race I called Brian because I thought it would be hilarious to call someone while I was in the middle of a race.

I crossed the finish line at the time I thought I would, which meant I ran the race about ten minutes faster than I thought I would, which was weird, but good. I’m not complaining.

I’ve seen races where the person finishes and then collapses at the end or throws up, but I’ve never, other than the marathon where I literally couldn’t move my legs that night, had that happen to me – until today. I crossed the finish line strong, took a few steps to slow myself down, but the contents in my stomach didn’t slow down and it was all I could do not to throw up. I didn’t think the other finishers would want to have to step around a pile of throw-up. As I walked through the finishers area I just needed air, and to lie down. There were a few moments where I thought I might pass out. So that part wasn’t so good. I still need to just lie down or something, but not eat, nothing sounds like it would feel good going down.

No blisters on my feet or toes. So that was good.

And I had one of those free sports massages they offer at the end of races from a guy named Sam. That felt real nice. I love a good leg and glute massage.

I think maybe when I get back from my vacation next week I’ll make an appointment to see a doctor and see if it isn’t too late for physical therapy. My knee did great today, but even Sam could tell there was a difference between my two knees and said there was a lot of scar tissue built up in one spot of my knee cap.

2 shared thoughts about Deseret Morning News 10K

  1. Mr. Me says:

    I don’t know the last time I ran 1k, let alone 10k.

    I’ll leave running to you and stay on my bike.

  2. Pingback, 18 June 2008 at 8:33 pm
    The Marathon | Random Giggles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

smile big grin lol joy wink tongue sideways silly pouty sad crying surprised shock unsure huh cool pinched annoyed whistle w00t sleep sick angry read love kiss heart check computer lightbulb game pacman sun moon star snow cactus daisies pansy elephant penguin turtle butterfly bird cow owl apple pencil party car tractor run infertility