These links were collected when I taught elementary school between 2002 and 2008.
This page is no longer maintained nor updated.
- Art is Basic – K-6 Art Teacher Blog
- Crayola Creativity Central – fun things for parents, teachers, and kids, as well as information about products
- Great Museums Television
- NetSmartz – activities that teach internet safety to kids. Also has information for parents and teachers
- K-2 Student Interactives
- 3-6 Student Interactives
- 7-12 Student Interactives
- KidZone – Fun facts for kids! Lots of free worksheets organized by topic and grade.
- PBS Kids
- UEN – Homework Help
- Famous Mathematicians
- National Council of Teachers of Mathematics
- National Library of Virtual Manipulatives
- San Francisco Symphony Kids’ Site – introduction to music and all of the instruments in the symphony
Reading & Writing
- 100 Picture Books Everyone Should Know – fun books for everyone, the young and the young at heart.
- 100 Best Books for Children – A list of one hundred books selected by the National Education Association as great reading for children and young people published by Teachers First.com
- Best Books for Young Adults – The annual list of books compiled by a committee of the Young Adult Library Services ASsociation consists of fiction and nonfiction appropriate for young adults ages 12 to 18. Selected on the basis of each book’s proven or potential appeal and value to young adults, the titles, published from late 1998 through 1999, span a variety of subjects as well as a broad range of reading levels.
- Boston Globe-Horn Book Awards – Books given awards in fiction, poetry, nonfiction, and picture books.
- Caldecott Awards – award given to the artist of the most distinguished American picture book for children.
- The Carnegie Medal – England’s most prestigious children’s book award.
- J.K. Rowling Official Site – all the Harry Potter information you’d ever want.
- Newbery Awards – award given to the author of the most distinguished contribuition to American literature for children.
- Magic School Bus – I love Ms. Frizzle and all her wild field trips. This site has fun games for kids as well as resources for parents and teachers.
- Read Write Think – Student Interactives – Providing educators and students access to the highest quality practices and resources in reading and language arts instruction.
- Seussville – all things fun with Dr. Seuss.
- Ben’s Guide to U.S. Government
- CIA World Factbook
- CNN Student News
- Test Your Geography Knowledge – Geography quizzes
- Time for kids
Teaching & Teacher Development
I think holistic scoring involves herbal remedies, aromatherapy & meditation …
- A to Z Teacher stuff – A to Z Teacher Stuff provides teachers with free lesson plans, thematic units, printables, and other resources. The active discussion forums allow teachers to exchange ideas and give advice on a variety of issues.
- HippoCampus – Teaching with the power of digital media
- Library of Congress
- PBS Teacher Source – all kinds of lessons and activities that tie in with shows on PBS
- School Express.com – worksheets and such for teachers
- School House Technologies – Worksheets, activities, software
- Super Teacher Worksheets – Free printable materials for teachers and parents.
- Edmodo – Online professional development community for teachers
- Teacher First.com – collection of lessons and web resources for k-12
- UEN – Professional Development
- ISTE – International Society for Technology in Education
- Keyboarding – information about keyboarding programs, site provided by UEN
- UCET – Utah Coalition for Educational Technology