As we’re getting ready to see our daughter again (last time we saw her under a microscope), we’ve been meeting with our doula – Jessica Weinzinger (also a dear family friend). She asked us at one meeting what types of things calm me down. I mentioned two or three things and that was it.
But then I kept thinking about it. Yes, I do stress. But I’m not THAT stressed out. There have to be more things that calm me than what I originally mentioned. So I’ve been trying to come up with a good long list of the things I do to help me relax. Here’s what I’ve come up with so far:
- The beauty of nature. You know how when you see a sunset or look up at the stars and the beauty of it strikes you? That relaxes me.
- Yoga – I fall asleep a lot at the end, especially when I do Yoga Relaxation & Breathing for Meditation
- Bubble baths
- Hot showers
- Calm music – like the Piano Guys concert we’re going to (their latest CD), or the yoga station on Pandora
- Dim lighting
- Knowledge – the more I know about what to expect, the more I can relax about it when it happens
- Running – not exactly something I’ll be doing in labor, but Brett is already asking me how soon I’ll get back to it because he knows how good it is for me, and he’s been very sympathetic that I haven’t been able to do it at all this pregnancy because of my pelvis problems
- Sewing/Knitting – also not something I’ll be doing during labor, but creating certainly fills me.
- Rain (I should get a rain stick)
What types of things calm you down and help you relax?