These are the things I know about horse races:
- The horses run fast
- Horses have to have unique names, which is why we have real weird names now.
- A sloppy track means different horses will have different odds and the jockeys will go through a lot of goggles.
- The Kentucky Derby is the first race in the triple crown. The other two are the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes.
- Women at the Derby wear big hats and everyone drinks mint juleps.
- The Kentucky Derby is also called the “Run for the Roses” because they put roses over the winning horse.
- They sing “My Old Kentucky Home” at the beginning of the Derby.
- The actual Derby takes about two minutes. But that doesn’t mean it’s not an all day affair.
With that limited knowledge, we still have the Derby on today and I’ll pull out one of my hats for the race. Brett has picked “Mucho Macho Man.” I’ve picked “Soldat.”
Go horsey go!
Brett wants it to be known that while he is not resisting the hat, it is not his idea.