Music is powerful. It’s hard to imagine a world without music. :whistle:
When it comes to religious music, I actually mark my hymn book in similar fashion to my scriptures, highlighting the titles of favorite hymns or the lines that really stand out to me and give me much needed peace. I’ve written dates indicating events when a particular song stood out to me as well. These are the hymns that I’ve marked.
The numbers refer to the hymn book of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
- #27 – Praise to the Man. The 3rd verse.
- #29 – A Poor Wayfaring Man of Grief. The end of the 6th verse.
- #85 – How Firm A Foundation. Particularly the 3rd and 7th verses.
- #86 – How Great Thou Art
- #97 – Lead, Kindly Light (although I like it better in Portuguese)
- #98 – I Need They Every Hour
- #100 – Nearer, My God, to Thee
- #105 – Master, the Tempest is Raging. The 2nd verse.
- #124 – Be Still, My Soul. Few things can calm my soul like this hymn.
- #129 – Where Can I Turn for Peace? Sometimes I need the reminder of where to turn.
- #130 – Be Thou Humble. Sometimes I also need a reminder of all the places I need to be humble.
- #131 – More Holiness Give Me. This song sums up my years as a Relief Society president.
- #136 – I Know That My Redeemer Lives. There are so many lines in this song that I just love.
- #143 – Let the Holy Spirit Guide. I love the 2nd and 3rd verses.
- #144 – Secret Prayer. The 3rd and 4th verses.
- #145 – Prayer Is the Soul’s Sincere Desire. The 1st, 2nd, and 5th verse.
- #152 – God Be with You Till We Meet Again. This is one that is associated with an event in my life. 8 October 2000
- #165 – Abide with Me; ‘Tis Eventide. I like the last two phrases of the first verse.
- #193 – I Stand All Amazed. I love the first person-ness of this song.
- #249 – Called to Serve. Only it’s better in Portuguese because the chorus isn’t so repetitive. 15 March 2001
- #259 – Hope of Israel. 7 November 1999
- #284 – If You Could Hie to Kolob. I love the 4th verse. Honestly I do.
- #295 – O Love That Glorifies the Son. Again, I like it better in Portuguese. 15 September 2000
- #307 – In Our Lovely Deseret. The middle of the 2nd verse makes me laugh every time.
- #319 – Ye Elders of Israel. 30 October 2000
What about you? What are some of your favorite hymns? Why do you like them?