My parents got their first email address when I went to college. Email was a rather new thing. Everyone I emailed were people I’d known previously.
After college I got involved with a online forum. It was the first time I interacted with people I had never seen before. That opened up a whole new world for me. Some of those people are still dear friends today. It was kind of fun to go to different places so I could physically meet my friends. I was starting to see how the internet makes the world a much smaller place. Since then I’ve been part of several other forums off and on as well, forums for quilting, running, reading, even health issues.
Some of the friends I made on that forum started using a website to meet people, and were finding some real characters. To check out some of these strange guys they were interacting with, I joined the site too. And met the perfect guy. After talking for a couple of months we finally met. And the rest is history.
Last year I “met” a friend I’ve made through blogging, Meg, when Brett and I met her train while she was doing a book tour. That was a first for me. My world has become a lot smaller since I went online.
A few months back, through the world of blogging, I made another friend, Whitney at Southern Hope, who also met her husband on the same site I met mine and who is working through some of the same health problems we are dealing with. Small world indeed!
A month ago she gave me a Liebster award, an award bloggers bestow on others they admire. Ah sweet! So now I get to:
- Share 11 facts about myself.
- Answer 11 questions the awarder asked me.
- Nominate 11 bloggers who have fewer than 200 followers.
- Create 11 questions for the next group to answer.
- Link back to the person who gave me the award – Go Whitney!!
So here we go, 11 facts about me.
- I’m an introvert.
- I have frequently been known for my inability to cook, which makes my current food adventures all the more meaningful to me.
- I don’t like getting my face wet.
- I love elephants
- I played the flute from 4th grade through 10th grade.
- I have never officially broken a bone (I suspect I cracked my nose once, but it was never confirmed).
- I love yoga. Brett can tell when I haven’t done it in a while and will remind me to do it.
- The only thing I put salt on is cucumbers.
- I try to only grow plants that serve a purpose and make their existence worthwhile, so I pretty much never consider annuals unless they are food plants and I can eat them.
- I love bird feeders.
- I would go hang gliding but not sky diving.
And the answers to her questions.
- What is your favorite quote?
That’s an easy one, “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you’ve imagined.” It’s guided me for a long time now through many dreams.
- If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose?
Also an easy one. My online name for years was the name of a fictional character – Eilonwy from the Chronicles of Prydain. Read the books. You’ll see why.
- If you had to change your first name, what would you change it to?
I don’t think I would change it since I believe I picked it to begin with.
- If you could witness any event, past, present, or future, what would it be?
Most past events were rather brutal. Perhaps I’d like to see my own funeral in the future. Or maybe I’d like to be on Apollo 11. Can I participate in the event or do I just get to watch it?
- What was the last experience that made you a stronger person?
Infertility. Hands down.
- What was the last book you read?
As of this writing it is My Sister’s Keeper. If you aren’t reading this right after I write it though you can check the current correct answer on my Book Log.
- Have you ever met a famous person?
What defines famous? I’ve met people who were famous in certain circles, but nobody that is famous enough to be in People.
- Why blog?
I’ve been a big journaler since I was young. Blogging is just an extension of that for me. I blog to update family that lives far away (Hi Mom!). I blog because I think I have something good to say, even if my mom and husband might be the only ones who agree some times.
- Which is your most favorite place?
Gardens. Nature (but I want to sleep in my own bed at night still). The temple. Curled up with my husband.
- Where are you right now?
On the couch, watching my husband watch “Cupcake Wars” for the first time. He just now realized that there are actual cupcake places and it wasn’t just a made up place like Underpants Etc. in Chuck. It’s hilarious. The French judge especially is cracking him up.
- Got milk?
Here are 11 bloggers I admire and read regularly.
- Book Guardian
- Heidi Aphrodite
- Montreal Zen
- Feigning Fertility
- People May Leave Looking Confused and Annoyed
- The Mackelberries
- 7 Cooks In A Kitchen
- Pondering the Scriptures
- The Cook Book
- How Lucky We Are
And 11 questions for them to answer.
- Who in your life inspires you the most?
- What is your favorite dessert?
- When do you do your best thinking?
- What do you like in your salad?
- Where would your ideal vacation be?
- What toy did you sleep with as a child?
- Why do you like your favorite color?
- What is your autobiography in 6 words?
- Where is your happy place?
- What book changed your life?
- Why do you blog?
It’s fun to shrink the world with the internet.